The roles and responsibilities for both Directors and Audit and Risk Committee members have increased greatly in the past few years driven both from a legislative and governance perspective. This course provides delegates with a practical insight into the role and fit of Risk Governance and Risk Management into the broader governance framework. Particular focus will be placed on the roles, responsibilities and duties of Audit and Risk committee members and those in attendant governance and assurance roles and how concepts such as the “combined assurance model” and the “three lines of defence” underpin and support the above .
One Day Course Agenda:
- Overview of Corporate Governance and evolution
- Current status quo of the corporate governance arena particularly in a SA context
- Link between corporate governance and law
- Role and fit of Audit & Risk Committees in the governance framework and structure
- Legislative and governance requirements including composition focus , communication and interaction within the governance framework
- Latest trends and thinking to optimise effectiveness in this area
- External Audit , Internal Audit and other key role players and attendant value adding dynamics
- Combined Assurance Model and the 3 lines of defence
- Overview of risk governance and risk management and the distinction between these two concepts
- Understanding the key aspects of risk including ; definitions, appetite, tolerance, assessing , response, monitoring, assurance and disclosure
- Types of risks
- Enterprise Wide Risk Management (EWRM) Principles
Who should attend?
Chief Risk Officers, Risk Managers Risk Champions, Audit /Risk Committee Members, Directors, Company Secretaries and other persons charged with governance /assurance duties and having interaction with Boards and Audit & Risk Committees
About the Presenter:
Richard Foster ,FCIS; HFinstD, HDip Company Law (Wits); HDip Tax Law (RAU); PG Dip Corporate
Governance (RAU) (with distinction)., has held senior management positions in two of the largest Global Groups based in South Africa, during his corporate career. Prior to joining Old Mutual in 2001, where he held the position of Group Secretary until July 2013, the bulk of his career was spent with Anglo American / Mondi. He has over the years, been overall responsible for Governance, Corporate Secretariat, Risk Management, Corporate Insurance and Legal Services functions.
Richard currently operates an independent consultancy Richard Foster & Associates: Corporate Governance Advisors, specialising in corporate governance and also serves as a professional Independent Non- Executive Director and / or Chairman in various companies including regulated entities within the financial services industry , both in South Africa and overseas.
Richard has been extensively involved in various corporate governance initiatives in the broader business environment and has participated as a speaker and panellist in a number of Corporate Governance seminars and forums over the past years, both locally and overseas and has co-edited certain sections of the well-known JUTA publication “Corporate Business Administration” Further has been published as a co-author of various articles in certain leading international academic law journals.